21st Century Studies

Around 2000 students, including 500 foreigners, study at the faculty. More than 12,000 graduates have left the faculty during its existence.

Establishment of the Faculty

The Faculty was founded by decree of the President of the Republic Dr. Edvard Beneš in 1945. The first lectures of the newly established faculty were held in the premises of Bio Universita. The Purkyň Pavilion was adapted for the needs of the Pilsen Medical Faculty in 1946. The former Jubilee District Children’s Home, now the Prochásk Institute, was assigned as the seat of the theoretical institutes. The faculty was also given the adjacent villa, which was to serve the needs of the Institute of Hygiene and Microbiology. Other villas on adjacent land were acquired by the faculty in the 1970s and 1980s.

Photo: Patton Memorial Plzeň

1

Campus expansion

The Faculty had been preparing for a long time to build a new campus in the neighbourhood of the University Hospital Pilsen in Lochotín, where Charles University had purchased the necessary land for this construction. The construction was finally completed during the years 2012 – 2022, when both the headquarters for the Faculty’s theoretical institutes, administrative and technical facilities and the Biomedical Research Centre were gradually built on this land.

Biomedic

Modern facilities

The Faculty has been preparing the construction of a new campus for a long time in the neighbourhood of the University Hospital Pilsen in Lochotín, where Charles University purchased the necessary land for this construction. The construction was finally completed during the years 2012 – 2022, when both the headquarters for the Faculty’s theoretical institutes, administrative and technical facilities and the Biomedical Research Centre were gradually built on this land.

Modern teaching

Lecture halls and seminar rooms offer teachers and students advanced technology for learning. The campus has a canteen with a cafeteria, and the residence roof is a popular place to relax. A specific part of the faculty is its Simulation Center, where students practice real interventions on mannequins – simulators, from basic skills to advanced simulations of conditions in intensive and emergency medicine.